Monday 5 November 2012

=I= paint

=I= admit it. I havent been painting much for years.

But I have more or less finished one third of my Melancholia I project. The Navigator is as good as done. Next up are the two other parts of the project; servant and base. When all three parts are done I will go over the Navigator again to touch up on seals (highlights), reds and probably some more layers of glazing on the robe/skin.

As he is the main character of the project (maybe!) I wanted him to be very white-ish and pale so that he really stands out from the servant as well as the dark base I am building.

Although almost hunchbacked I like the tall slim shape of the main character together with the hunched, almost crawling, one-legged, ball-carrying servant. I also like how both are using a staff/crutch as a reference to C.D. Friedriechs Wanderer above the Sea of Fogs.

Inspired by JRNs post on reads I have added a picture of two of my current reads (Ravenor the Omnibus was at the bed table when I took the shot): Gardens by Robert Pogue Harrison and =I= Sketchbook by Blanche...the latter serves as a perfect backdrop for photo-shoots, the first is just a beautiful take on gardens and the vocation of care.

12 comments:

  1. I love the way the parchments are keept really dark, but still capture the look of paper. Fantastic. Also, I find it very intriguing that you are mixing references to art and architecture with our hobby efforts. Shows something about the way one project can influence others across bounderies and spcialities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jakob!

      You are absolutely right. For me the mixing of art, architecture and 40K/Fantasy is a natural consequence of being immersed in work and hobby stuff (almost) at the same time, as I am at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. :) What do you have in mind for the bases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      The base will be a one-piece, so a sort of small diorama. The Astrotelepath and servant will be placed more or less like on the 'group'-shot.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful painting.

    I love the contrast of the pale and parched skin of the Navigator to the dark almost oily look of the seals flowing from his staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear! It was precisely oily, weathered parchment I wanted to achieve. I imagine some of them actually behind handed over through generations. Centuries old even...

      Delete
  4. Its just sublime mate .. movement and emotion.. evanescent and ethereal . i can just imagine him standing atop a mountain in the warp.. wanderer of the ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wanderer of the immaterium ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanderer of the immaterium - I like that :)

    Thanks for the kind words Neil. I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool and special to see work from you again! After all these years :)

    Stefan, can you add a "follow by email" function please!? It's in the tags. I don't want to miss your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I already had. I did change the title to 'get informed'...but I will change it back to 'follow by email'.

    Thanks Migs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete